Reading fluency is the ability to read with accuracy, speed, and with appropriate expression. Accuracy is the number of words that are read correctly. If your child misreads more than 1 out of every 10 words, the text may be too difficult for them. Reading rate or speed is the rate at which a child is able to read a given text. Non-fluent readers will read more slowly and deliberately while fluent readers will read quickly and easily.
To determine your child's fluency:
1. Select material that is at your child's reading level.
2. Ask your child to read aloud for 1 minute.
3. Make a note of any words your child misreads.
4. Count the total # of correct words your child read in 1 minute.
5. The result is your child's reading rate or wpm (words read per minute).
The table below shows the grade level benchmarks for fluency.