Thursday, September 8, 2011

Slow Love How I Lost My Job, Put on My Pajamas, and Found Happiness - Book Review


I've always loved the quote by Woody Allen that says, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans" because it just fits my life.  Time and time again I have made plans for my life only to find that my life takes a totally different direction - and usually that direction is so much better than what I originally intended.  Slow Love - How I Lost My Job, Put on My Pajamas, and Found Happiness is a story of just that type of life.   Dominique Browning's memoir tells the story of what happened when she was layed off from her job as editor-in-chief of Conde Nast's House & Garden, when the magazine folded.  Her career was her whole focus in life, and suddenly it wasn't.  Her story is not just one of despair due to the loss of a job, but is instead a celebration of her rebirth as a woman. 

One of the things she said that really struck a chord with me was "Slow love is about knowing what you've got before it's gone."  How many times in our life do we forget to focus on the things that really matter, the people in our lives who really matter?  I know in my own life sometimes I spend more time worrying about things that in the long run will mean nothing, but forgetting to stop and take time to really enjoy my family.

I am reading this book as part of BlogHer book club, and will be discussing it throughout the month - be sure to join in!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: